A Message from Principal Anne Kusch
Hello Black Hawk Families,
Happy Monday! Thank you for your continued support in the face of finding our way to a new normal this year. In typical times, middle school is unusual and unexpected things happen daily. It seems though our new normal is more dramatic and intense. The good news is we’re up for the challenge, and it’s more important than ever to come together as a network of families in our BHMS school community to support the safety, connectedness, and learning of all of your students.
With only two days left before winter break and as we close the 2021 calendar year, it’s not lost on me that this time of year brings many different feelings for all of us. Some of us experience excitement and joy, while others feel worried and stressed. All of these feelings (and others) are valid.
Black Hawk is here to support all our students and families. You’ve heard me say it before - students, families, and staff deserve to feel safe in our school environment. All students deserve to feel connected. We want each of our students to have an adult at school that they can talk to. When our students feel safe and connected, they do their best thinking and learning.
Please remind your student, if they hear or see something that feels unsafe, SAY something! They can talk to that trusted adult, Schoology message or email their: Panther Time teacher, counselor, or administrator. They can talk to you as their trusted adult at home, and you can relay information to us. After all, BHMS is the BEST middle school this side of the Mississippi - it's a place where all students are seen, celebrated, and supported. So, please remember today and always: Be Kind, Be Calm, Be Safe!
- Free rapid COVID-19 tests will come home tomorrow, Dec.21, with your student. Test are being provided by the Minnesota Department of Health.
- There are no after-school activities on Wednesday, Dec. 22.
- If your family needs food support over winter break, there are free bags of groceries inside the BHMS upper level foyer (Door 12). Please stop in, and take what you need. You don't even need to come into the main office. More info at https://bhms.district196.org/community/every-meal-program
- Black Hawk and the main office will close at 3:45 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 22, and will reopen at 7:30 a.m. Monday, Jan. 3.
- Boys Basketball begins Monday Jan. 3. A current sports physical must be on file before you can register. More info at https://bhms.district196.org/athletics/boys-basketball
- Stay tuned for Ski Club and Chess Club, both of which start in January.
- Lost and found items will be laundered and donated over winter break. Please stop in if your student is missing anything.
What's Happening at Black Hawk? Catch up on all the Announcements for Parents and Students
Read this message and more News at bhms.district196.org/families/News